Thursday, July 31, 2014

Having a cat (or other pet) in Jakarta - Part II

Click here to read 'Having a cat (or other pet) in Jakarta - Part I'

Buying cat (pet) products in Jakarta

I find it very easy to buy 'retail' dry and wet cat food, and other basic needs for my cat, such as litter, in Jakarta. Below are some of the products I recently found in malls in Jakarta. The cat food pictures are taken at Farmer's Market, but I have seen the same products at Carrefour, Lotte Mart, Food Hall and other supermarkets in Jakarta.

Whiskas, Friskies (Purina)
and Catsan (litter)
at Farmer's Market
Alpo (Purina) and Pedigree for dogs at Farmer's market
Pets department at Ace Hardware Living World (Alam Sutera): quite a large assortment of pet food, toys, leashes, bowls, cargos, etc.

Cat scratch carpet

If you want to buy something for your cat to scratch, this product is available for only IDR 22.000 at Daiso. Daiso, a Japanese retail company, is available at several malls, including Kota Kasablanka, Artha Gading and Pluit City. However, my cat does not get the point of a scratch carpet and only walks/sits on it. She prefers to scratch the furniture :-)



Lint Remover

I recently bought a lint remover from Ace Hardware (this item is available at most Ace Hardware branches). I bought this product months ago to remove my cat's fur from my clothes, but have not used it often as it is not as effective as other tools I have. Also, it is a bit annoying that you have to wash it with water when it gets too furry and then you cannot use it until it is dry again.


Buckle fastener

I bought this buckle fastener (the pink one on the picture) at Ace Hardware Living World Alam Sutera. Unfortunately, this cheap product (~IDR 40.000) does not work at all! I find it a very frustrating product: unless if your cat already 'understands' the concept and has a very strong tongue, he/she will probably not be able to get the water out. It is true that it fits regular bottles (which I thought would be a very convenient feature), but unfortunately it leaks. I managed to make it leakage-free by wrapping a rubber around the bottle's neck, but this is of course not ideal.

Annoying buckle fastener from Ace Hardware

Cat Toys

If you are looking for cat toys, you can find quite a large variety at Ace Hardware and specialized pet shops, such as Groovy Pets (Kemang) and Zoo Pet Shop (Mall of Indonesia). Supermarkets have a very limited assortment of cat toys (more for dogs though). Some of my cat's favorite toys are these mice (especially the ones with feather!). Unfortunately, I have only seen them in some specialized pet shops and they were quite pricy (more than ~30.000/piece).
Toy mice for cats: my cat's favorite toys (hard to get in Jakarta)
My cat's favorite 'toy' is the Kitty Play Cube from Pet Lovers Centre (available in many malls in Singapore, click here for a list of their shops). This cat play cube is really worth its price (SGD 16). My cat uses it as a place to chill out, hide, and play. It really triggers her creativity and it is surprisingly strong. As far as I know, the Kitty Play Cube is not available in Jakarta yet.
Kitty Play Cube from Pet Lovers in Singapore, available in baby blue and pink for SGD 16

Cat's favorite water


Your cat may prefer certain brands of mineral water...
I never thought that cats might prefer specific brands of mineral water, but apparently my cat is a big fan of certain brands.

In general, she prefers cheaper mineral water brands (2Tang, Club 8) to more expensive ones (Aqua, Nestle). Her favorite brand is 2Tang :-) I also discovered that she likes cold water (from fridge) more than warm water.

Since it is very important for cats to drink sufficiently since they are prone to kidney/bladder problems when they get older, it might be useful to find out about your own cat's preferences.
My cat prefers 2tang, but that's probably just her personal taste :-)

One more tip: Sallo Pet Shop - Proplan Hairball Management

In my previous post about having a cat (or other pet) in Jakarta, I already mentioned several pet shops in Jakarta, but here is another one, in case you are looking for quality food such as ProPlan from Purina:

Sallo Pet Shop (Toko Hewan)
Komplek Flora Alam Sutera
Blok A No. 17 Serpong - Tangerang
Phone: +622170284369+622170756238

I bought Proplan Hairball Management 3.18 kg for IDR 272.500 from Sallo Pet Shop at Cat Lover's Heaven (annual cat show at Living World Alam Sutera), but I believe it is also available at their regular shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment